Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cooling and Lights

After mocking up the core support I had a realization and that was I could possibly use a brand new intercooler I had laying around from a previous aborted S14.5 project. So I grabbed it off the shelf and my hunch was correct, actually I was surprised how well it fit! So I welded a top  support and positioned it where I wanted it right behind the grill. 

I then started to tie the entire core support to the top fender supports I mocked up.

In order to finish off the front underbody I needed to finish off the sections where the headlights would be housed. I am not a fan of the stock old halogen type headlights that the Roadster initially uses. After searching the Internet for a suitable replacement with the desire of projectors and HIDs in mind, I came across these: 


Mercedes G class HID projector lamps. Yes they are DEPO headlights as I can't justify buying headlights that are more expensive than the entire car. I went with black housing as I intended the car to be black on black with the factory Roadster chrome trim highlights.

After some trimming of the inside of the fender, the underbody and headlight plate mount I had the headlight positioned and mounted where I wanted it.




As you can see I spray painted around the headlight black to get an idea of how it would look in black with the chrome trim and headlights. After looking at the car from every angle walking back and forth starring at the car. I quickly realized black housing headlights were a bad choice. So frustrated I shelved the black housing headlights and ordered the chrome housing that look like these:
I know this will be the better choice. I think the black just looked out of place and pulled away from the "era" and look of the car.




2 comments:

  1. Wow! you have destroyed 2 cars plus parts to make one BB V6 special, I, don't understand why, but I admire your determination and enthusiasm, the truth will be in the finished product, You have got MY attention and I hope you get to enjoy your your creation. I too admire that little red coupe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Destroyed? Negative. The roadster under body was rusted out. Way more work than it's worth especially a 1600. You don't have to like it, I'm not building it for you. I appreciate the input, and I fully expect to catch flack for being different.

    ReplyDelete