Thursday, August 22, 2013

Stuffing the engine in...

As I mentioned I am using a VQ30DET for this build. I actually have a few variants of the VQ series engines in my possession. I have a VQ30DE from a Maxima and a damaged VQ35DE from a G35x (350z engine). So with the various engines I am able to mix and match parts from the different engines to "Frankenstein" a VQ engine together to suit my needs. For fitment purposes I will be using the damaged VQ35. 

The VQ30DET uses motor mounts that are the same as a R32 Skyline. I have Nismo R32 mounts with 350z motor mount brackets I am hoping will work for my application. I also have a set of stock 350z manifolds to use as I am certain I will most likely have to do a rear mount turbo setup. 

After pulling the motor and reading various other Miata builds it became clear that I would have to convert my VQ to rear sump for clearance of the stock Miata K frame. Luckily there is a solution to this small problem. 

Nissan used the VQ series engine in the 2001-2004 Pathfinder which utilized a rear sump. So I bought the upper and lower oil pan off a Pathfinder and went to work.


I also ordered a new oil pick up tube, oil baffle, oil dip stick tube, oil dip stick and various gaskets new from Nissan. 

I popped the upper and lower oil pan off the VQ30DET. First thing I did was test fit the new Pathfinder oil pick up tube. 


Next thing I did was test fit the Pathfinder oil baffle. I found that the bolt holes needed to bolt down the oil baffle were missing on the VQ30DET torque plate (I think that's the name for it)


Thinking I was going to have to order a new plate from Nissan, I decided to pop open my damaged VQ35DE to see what it's plate looked like. I was surprised to find bolt holes where I needed them on its plate.


So I laid the oil baffle on it and found it lined up perfectly. 


Happy that I didn't have to purchase more parts I took everything and test fitted them on the VQ30DET. Everything went on without a hitch.


Then lastly I fitted the upper and lower oil pan, they too went on without a hitch. Only thing I will have to do is tap and plug the factory dip stick location on the VQ30DET and drill the block in the exact same location for the dip stick as the pathfinder block.


Now that I know everything fits the VQ30DET. I removed the upper and lower oil pan, as well as the motor mounts and brackets. I installed them on my damaged VQ35DE motor as well as the 350z headers and G35 transmission.


Ready for test fit!

Well first thing first I had to notch the subframe as you can see by this picture the oil pan is off center.


The oil cooler was also removed as it interfered with the steering rack. 

Transmission had to be removed as the engine could not be angled enough to clear the steering rack with the transmission attached.

The stock 350z manifolds were cut as they were too long and hit the fire wall. They will be replaced with shorter VQ40DE Nismo headers for a 05-13 Pathfinder/Frontier


I then found that the 350z motor mount brackets are not going to work for my needs. I will still use the Nismo Skyline motor mounts but the brackets I will have to custom make myself, no worries. After some measuring here is how the motor will sit:





The motor sits a little high and will surely have hood clearance issues. I plan to remedy this by elongating the stock Datsun Roadster hood scoop, which should give the roadster a more aggressive look.

The motor sitting at its lowest results in the oil pan sitting a inch or so past the bottom of the K member. This obviously won't work. Once the motor is mounted I will remove the upper oil pan and cut out a section of it reducing the length to be even or just barely past the K member and weld the pan back together. 

















3 comments:

  1. ANy progress? I'm starting to do the same thing to my roadster this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I am not sure if you check this anymore, but I'm wondering what you did for the two bottom transmission bolts between it and the pathy oil pan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replace the steel lower oil pan with a skid worthy block off plate. How much height would that gain?

    ReplyDelete