Saturday, August 3, 2013

Replacing what I cut out

Going with the whole idea of stretching the body of the Roadster to fit the Miata, I decided to duplicate the Roadster core support to fit the Miata. I did not want to hack up the original grill in attempts to elongate it mostly because I don't think it would look right. I purchased a 2000 grill as I was not a fan of the original 1600 grill. I used newer and thicker angled steel since this car will be driven without the original crash bar of the Miata. After squaring up and measuring multiple times here are the results. 


I still have some more to add to the core support like hood latch and headlight supports as well as bracing to run along where the fender meets the hood but overall I am extremely happy with the results on the fitment.

Here is a shot with the grill loosely bolted in place and the hood laying on top about where it should be. (hood is sitting high in the back as it is resting on the windshield wipers, it will lay more flat once it is cut to fit) Metal bent and formed to the Roadster body lines will be added to fill in the gaps.



No comments:

Post a Comment